Friday, February 20, 2009

So If It's Artificial, Let It Be

Today was a sucky day at work that pretty much continued from yesterday which was a sucky day at work.

To make a long story short, I said something at lunch that I shouldn't have said about one of my student workers. We all know that hindsight is 20/20. I look back on the situation and realize that I shouldn't have made the comment regarding the young lady in question's behavior. But admitting that is what makes the following events somewhat arbitrary and mildly bizarre.

Basically, a breach of security occurred at work yesterday because one of my clerks allowed the student worker to log onto the records system. This has repercussions because basically, students could tamper with files, which is a big no-no. I expressed disbelief at the situation but decided it was a gross oversight and could be dealt with later. Until I told the student worker what was wrong with what she did, she replied that technically she could continue doing what I told her not to do.

I took issue with this greatly. I was disturbed that someone would just outrightly disobey me. So, trying to be proactive and nip it in the bud, I asked the clerk to change her password. Because I was going to a training off campus, I told my co-supervisor to issue the directive and tell the clerk I would explain when I got on campus. Of course when I did get on campus, I had a meeting with said clerk. We will call her StankGirl. StankGirl is not to be confused with HeffaGirl. StankGirl has pretty much been stank since she started working there. Her behavior confuses me because she never acted like that when she was working in the capacity of a student worker. I believe that she is following in the demeanor of HeffaGirl. Not good. I have never understood follower mentality - particularly at the workplace. I want to ask StankGirl if HeffaGirl is going to pay her carnote and rent if she gets fired? Because if you not paying no bills, I don't see how you can rationally have any say-so in my work life. Anyway, the meeting between StankGirl was not kept between myself and StankGirl. StankGirl called the student worker, basically made a big deal out of nothing, and of course the student worker came in thinking her job was in jeopardy because of what she "heard" was "said." While I respect the student worker for coming in and addressing the situation, I don't respect StankGirl for essentially leaving me ass out. After I asked StankGirl to change her password, to me, the situation was done. But I guess that wasn't enough for StankGirl.

I keep playing the situation over and over in my head. I learned a valuable lesson. Keep my mouth closed. Even the people you think are cool, 9 times out of 10 probably aren't. After I write this entry (woo-sah) I will be done with the issue. It is not easy being a supervisor. I knew that going in. I know it is not popular being supervisor, either. I don't do my job to be popular though. I do my job to provide students with an opportunity. I treat the students how I would want to be treated. I don't expect comendations for the work that I do, but it is nice to hear satisfaction from students once in a while. But what I can't tolerate is petty, immature drama. And I guess I mention it because of course, all of the people in the situation are Black. I have watched other ethnicities in the work place. They mind their business, keep their nose to the grindstone(or at least appear to be busy, damn.) But I guarantee you - a Black worker will act Black. For example, if you have NOTHING to do, why would you publicicze that you don't have shit to do? Why can't you just keep quiet in your cubicle? Why do you have to be loud and blatantly idle? These are things I have to deal with on the daily basis as a supervisor as I shake my head and ask why. On one hand I can say "Oh - I don't have to worry about it." And I guess I don't. But I do - these are little things that blow up to big things which would ultimately influence me in my performance.

2 comments:

Erika said...

i was sick as i read your post. because.i.know.exactly.how.you.feel.on.everything.you.said.

*rolls eyes*

sunshine_and_raindrops said...

That is some b.s. StankGirl need to sit her drama starting self down somewhere!