Sunday, February 15, 2009

George On My Mind

I saw this movie starring Gary Dourdan last night. The movie is Black August. It's a biopic on the revolutionary George L. Jackson. I watched this movie last week too, and I kept squinting my eyes like who is this actor - why is he so familiar...why is he so sexy to me? Gary Dourdan was huge on CSI -but if you guys are like me you probably don't recognize him without his dreadlocks from... A Different World! lol. It's none other than Shazaa Zulu, resident revolutionary and soulmate of Black hippie Winnie Brooks! lol. I was cracking up when I googled him under images - a big light bulb went off like - A HA!

The movie is so-so. I will say since I am so conflicted with the flow of the movie (not necessarily Dourdan's portrayal) I am most definitely going to go pick up the book Soledad Brother today. I'm enclosing a trailer:



Valentine's Day has come and gone. Mr. Man and I don't celebrate it, lol. Last year, I asked him if he did, and he said he hadn't in some years, which didn't surprise me. In a way, I was glad - because my typical Valentine's Day included spending it with my girls who insist on being miserable and single. I have been single many a Valentine's Day and never sat around like "Boo me, boo my life." But, I don't take that away from women who feel that way. Love is love. If I have the love of my family and friends then I'm not going to worry about being lonely on Valentine's Day. What I normally do is by roses for my co-workers, and something for my mom. This year I bought her a basket. I bought Ms. Man a basket too. That's my contribution to the commercial day. *smiles*

Yesterday was actually an extremely relaxing day. Coming off of my period gave me a pretty gnarly headache though. I stayed at home, in my bedroom. I talked to Mr. Man a few times, actually the first time we spoke I was pretty irritated. Mr. Man has the best intentions but sometimes has the worst follow-through. Anyway, last weekend I knew that he would be watching his daughter. That automatically means that our time together would be limited.

But me, always trying to be the diplomat says "You should get up with Matt next weekend. I'm not going anywhere."

*rolls eyes*

Matt's his music producer. I didn't expect him to actually get up with him. Me and my big mouth. lol. I expected him to be like "Well we just worked on the album this weekend I don't need to be in the studio two weekends in a row."

Wrong man. My fiance is a workaholic.

I do want him to hurry up, wrap up this album so he can start working on the next album. That's actually why on one level I do want him to get with Matt, work, and make that music I love to hear. On the other level though (my sentimental side) I want him to spend some time with me because our time together is extremely limited as it is. So when he called from Matt's place yesterday afternoon, I wasn't surprised, but put the fact that I wouldn't be seeing him with my post period headache and you have irritation.

I'm also annoyed with the situation with his daughter's mother. I don't say much on it because I understand that his hands are tied. But would it be so horrible to ask "What time are you bringing her over, and what time will you be picking her up?" so he and I could plan accordingly. But I also know if he starts asking his daughter's mother questions, she'll take it as an opportunity to have the upper hand and withold her from seeing him. I know, it's ridiculous, but she has actually done just that before. But just like there are deadbeat dads out there with zero interest of contributing anything meaningful to their children's lives, there are some women that feel justified in playing games. But rather than be (completely) annoyed by her overall immaturity, I'm just happy that he and his daughter get to be together (it was a long stretch of time when there was no contact - we've been together a year, it was close to 6 months they hadn't seen each other.) When he calls me he tries to act all paternal, and it's a joy to hear that other little voice on the end of the line: "Daddyyyy, I hungry! Daddyyyy I said I hungry now!"

Right now I'm cleaning out my closet to make room for the clothes I've bought recently. It seems as much as I give away to Salvation Army, I still find more to give. After I finish, I'm jumping in the shower, putting on my artsiest outfit and heading to the northside of Chicago to spend time in some old bookstores and boutiques. Even if I don't spend any money, I am fascinated by the people I see on the northside. I'm a people watcher. I make stories about the people I see in my head. In another life I was probably a writer. I could definitely see that! Peace.

1 comments:

Erika said...

one of these days, I'm going to come to Chicago and we gon' people-watch together! it's my favorite activity.

nobody knows how you feel more than me about only having limited time together with your significant other, and then them not doing everything in their power to maximize it. as understanding and patient and supportive as we are...it's still irritating!

i'mma have to check out that movie...

ryc: thank you for your concern about my father...i'm sure he'll be alright. and yeah, he's just stressed because like you said in an earlier post, his self worth was wrapped up in his career and being able to provide and run the house. that's all gone, plus all the foods he loves, plus smoking til he's blue in the face...all of his loves are gone. and yeah, you're not alone in being jealous of fake tittays...i'd like to invest in a set one day!