Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Mahogany

SO. AMAZING. Mahogany, the movie stars Diana Ross as Tracey, urban girl with dreams of being an international fashion phenom, and Billie Dee Williams as Brian, resident politician and revolutionary. It's a catch 22 presented in this movie: is it better to be successful? What is success? And how successful can you be with nobody to share it with? What comes first, the chicken or the egg? Mr. Man and I watched it in the very beginning of our relationship as an exercise, but I believe I'm going to watch it on my own with a more critical eye.

As I contemplate my feelings (selfish? maybe.) I need to look really really hard at the people around me and consider if they're capable of being there for me, and providing the same quality of camaraderie I provide. I'm looking at every single relationship right now because I can't lose myself. Not here, not now, there are far too many things on the line.

I considered that some of my doubts/fears are arising from the peanut gallery. Momentarily I'm shutting everybody out whose name isn't Renee. Sorry Mom (and everyone else), but if you ain't me, and ain't getting ready to be me - right now, this is all about me.

2 comments:

Erika said...

My middle name is Rene lol.

It's PMS. You've never felt like this before. PMS and everybody talkin shit...that's what did it. Unless you've felt like this for awhile and just never mentioned it. See how you feel in a week.

Has anything been said to him about it??

And I'm upset when I don't get sex too!

RealDeal_Revolutionista said...

Is it really? That is so funny! I knew I liked you for a reason.

LOL - I think I worded that bad. Nah, not really. I think that, after we move in there will be plenty of sexing like an overdose of sex and then a period of no sex. I don't know. But I can count very few ocassions when we've been together and haven't had sex. I'd say less than 10 times in a year. It's not even about not having sex so much as it is about me getting what I want when I want. I'm a brat, so what!