Saturday, May 30, 2009

There's No Place Like Home

When Mr. Man and I came back home with my luggage in tow, I ran around back to see if the stray cats I feed were there. I wondered if they missed me on my staycation. I couldn't tell if they were there because of the grass in the yard - it's up to my ankles - at least.

I ran back around front to pound on the door.

I was too excited - wanted to feel welcome in my home.

Not the hotel - with it's jaded version of reality, but my home. My too small bedroom, my 13 inch tv, my twin bed and purple satin comforter. Yes. I wanted to be home. No more eating out - I wanted my mama's cooking - anything lean and green and well seasoned with that undeniable feeling of love - not duty, but love cooked in it.

I was home.

My staycation started last Friday and came to a close this Saturday. I lived the life. Stayed in a swanky Chicago hotel from Tuesday to Friday. Woke up every morning in a King bed with my King by my side - after having the world's best sex until I could no longer physically stand it. Although having sex as often as possible sounds like an ideal situation - the va-jay-jay gets tired. Shit, everything gets sore and tired after a while, lol. Experienced the majority of what Chicago has to offer for a low price (the aquarium was such a special surprise! We had so much fun with the interactive show, taking photos of fishies, dolphins, baby whales, and Spongebob Squarepants). All in all - I had a fantastic, well-needed vacation away from work, away from family - away from it all.

Yet, at the end of the day, I wanted nothing more than to go home. Argue with my brothers about stuff that I'd forget in a manner of minutes, shoot the breeze with my mom...you know how it is when you're at home. There is the saying that parents have - the saying about giving a kid what they want? Well, I had what I wanted and discovered that there is simply no place like home. My mom's home. I told Mr. Man that when we have children we need to let them know that no matter what the circumstances, no matter what the argument or disagreement, they need to know they can always come home.

But I also discovered there's nothing like having the freedom that comes with being on vacation. No time schedules. Nothing to worry about except figuring out what activity to explore next. Or opting to just stay in bed under the covers because you can. I want to go on vacations once every four months. I was telling Mr. Man how when we get married, we're going to have to schedule time away from home or make our home so fabulous we can just unwind there. I think there's this culture in America to work work work to obtain a certain lifestyle, but, then the more you work for the lifestyle the less you get to enjoy it. Forget that. That's not the life I want to live. That's the life my parents lived. And I'm not knocking it, at all. I just want something different. Life is too short to not enjoy it and I want to enjoy my life, my love, my occupation - and I don't think that is too much to ask for.

Now I am just relaxing. It's true when they say you need a vacation after a vacation, because I'm tired but it's a good kind of tired.

0 comments: